August 17, 2011
Canadian Mobile Media Snapshot – 2011 Fact Sheet
The rich data set generated from the 2011 Canadian Mobile Media Snapshot provides a well rounded picture of mobile habits and preferences.*
• Communication (phone, SMS, email) is the #1 activity for all Smartphone users with Blackberry users spending 10% more time on those activities than iPhone or Android users.
• The top 5 uses for mobile media are: passing the time while waiting, finding directions, checking the weather, social networking and news & information consumption. Compared to 2010, watching video is showing the largest growth.
• Blackberry and Android users are slightly more likely than iPhone users to cite the need to improve the mobile media experience in order to drive more use.
• Mobile continues to be an important accessory, 43% of all Canadian mobile owners and 53% of mobile media users say they can’t leave home without it.
• At home remains the number one place for mobile media use with 66% of mobile media users saying they typically access the mobile internet while at home. Commuting and while at work are tied for number two at 51%. 45% of Canadians also say they access the mobile internet while shopping.
• The top five consumer associations with mobile media are (in order); on the fly access to information (96%), being helpful and informative (95%), being entertaining (93%),helping to stay connected (92%) and helping to pass the time (90%).
• 19% of mobile media users say they visit totally different sites on their mobile phone than they do on their desktop computer. 45% of users say all the sites they visit on their mobile phone they also access from their desktop.
• 67% say they typically use search engines to access the content they’re looking for on the mobile internet. 40% type a URL directly into the browser address bar.
• 68% of mobile media users still find it frustrating to access the internet because of the lack of mobile optimized websites.
• Scanning QR codes is the primary indicator for deep mobile media use. If a Canadian has scanned a QR code there is a 100% chance they have accessed the mobile internet, a 98% chance they sent or received an SMS, a 97% chance they used mobile email or a mobile app, a 94% chance they have used a location based service, a 93% chance they have watched video on their mobile and a 90% chance they have used social media on their mobile.
*Based on a sample size of 1,064 Canadians
About Bell Media Digital
Bell Media Digital delivers the most popular news, sports, entertainment and lifestyle media in Canada through dynamic systems including Canada’s leading online video network, award-winning websites, user-generated content sites, mobile-optimized sites and apps. Bell Media Digital is a division of Bell Media, Canada’s premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio and digital. Bell Media is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company.
- Bell Media -
For more information:
Carolyn Fell, Communications Manager, Bell Media Digital, 416.384.2817 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lizanne McReelis, Echo Communications, 647.438.5414 or email@example.com
> Print friendly version